It’s not even my birthday, but you’ll wanna to lick the icing off!
I haven’t been to Milk Bar but I have tried their amazing birthday cake. Yes, I had it shipped all the way from NYC. To die for. I’ve been too intimidated to try baking it but the craving grew stronger and I finally caved in. I found the recipe off the blog Kitchen Heals Soul but added my own flair to it. When I think Milk Bar, I think birthday cake and also cereal milk so I decided to join the two and make some Momofuku Milk Bar-inspired Birthday Cupcakes. Since I decided to go with cupcakes, I didn’t do a cake soak. (I’ll save that feat for another day.) I just topped the cupcakes with with cereal milk buttercream.
Play around with it. You might find a different take on the recipe that works for you. Enjoy!
Birthday Cake Crumbs
For the birthday cake crumbs, I followed Kitchen Heals Soul’s recipe:
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 25 grams light brown sugar
- 90 grams cake and pastry flour
- 2 grams baking powder
- 2 grams salt
- 20 grams rainbow sprinkles
- 40 grams grapeseed oil
- 12 grams vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or a piece of parchment.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugars, flour, baking powder, salt, and sprinkles and mix them on low speed until they are evenly mixed.
- Add the oil and the vanilla and continue beating the mixture until the ingredients clump and form small clusters.
- Carefully spread the delicate clusters in a thin layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake them for about 20 minutes. They dry and harden as the cool into crispy crumbs. Let them cool completely before using them. By the time you’ve made the cake and frosting, they will be ready to be used anyways.
Cereal Milk Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cereal milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- rainbow sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder, vanilla, and sprinkles. Beat for another minute until batter is smooth and creamy. Pour batter into cupcake liners.
3. Bake for 18 minutes, rotating halfway. Cool on wire rack.
Cereal Milk Buttercream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup of cereal milk*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. In a mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter.
2. Add cereal milk and vanilla.
3. Add 6 cups sugar and mix till light and fluffy.